Back to Top
Call for 2023-24 Graduate Student Fellows
The mission of the UCI Initiative to End Family Violence is to solve the problems of family violence and gender-based violence by uniting the expertise of university and community partners in collaborative research, education and clinical responses to abuse.
IEFV Graduate Student Fellowships support graduate students whose research has the potential to prevent, intervene in, or end family violence or gender-based violence.
Ideal candidates will be involved in innovative research designed to further knowledge of and/or interventions in abuse. Note that one fellowship opportunity is dedicated to research focused on teen dating violence prevention or intervention.
Graduate students are eligible to apply. IEFV Student Fellows will each receive up to $3,000 to support their research or conference travel expenses (for the presentation of research regarding family violence). IEFV Student Fellowships are intended to supplement, not replace, any funding that students may already be receiving.
Monday, May 8, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time
For UCI IEFV Graduate Student Fellowships, applicants must, at minimum, meet the following criteria:
- Maintain UCI GPA of 3.0 or higher through the previous quarter/semester.
- Be a current, full-time UCI graduate or professional student. Incoming graduate students are welcome to apply.
- Conduct or plan to conduct research related to preventing, intervening in, or ending abuse. Relevant research may include studies that aim to further knowledge and interventions in family violence or gender-based violence at any stage(s) across the lifespan. For examples of past projects, see descriptions of previous fellowship recipients at endfamilyviolence.uci.edu.
- Be willing to have research spotlighted/featured on both the Initiative to End Family Violence’s and UCI’s websites, brochures, and social networks, and be available to communicate and discuss research in lay terms with prospective donors, legislators and/or their staff, and the media.
Please note that AB540 eligible students may apply for IEFV Student Fellowships.
Application Process and Deadline
The final selection committee will consider several factors when choosing the awardees, including the student’s research plans, relevance of the project, ability to convey his/her/their research to a broad audience, academic record, letters of recommendation, degree progress, and research impact.
Application packets should include the following:
- A completed Student Fellowship Application (online; email us at email@example.com if you have issues submitting it on the form.)
- A proposed budget for use of the fellowship funds
- A current resume
- Three letters of recommendation. One of the three letters must be from the student’s faculty advisor. All letters must be submitted online at https://uci.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9tzQ7GEeHHQQkVE.
Applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted to the Initiative to End Family Violence by Monday, May 8, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. Applicants must submit applications online. Late or incomplete application packets will not be reviewed.
- All UCI graduate students (Master's, PhD, and Professional) are welcome to apply.
- Students receiving an IEFV Student Fellowship may be employed as TAs and/or GSRs.
- For students already receiving financial aid, acceptance of an IEFV Student Fellowship may affect his/her/their overall financial need-based support package. In such cases, students are encouraged to consult with the UCI Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
- Students should review the terms of any funding that they have accepted for AY 2023-24 to ensure that they are eligible to receive additional fellowship funding.
- Students that have previously received funding from the IEFV are welcome to apply to help further innovations.